CID to Probe Recruitment Exams Since 2014

 

Ranchi: In a major decision amid weeks of protests by job aspirants, the Jharkhand government on Monday announced the cancellation of the Jharkhand Staff Selection Commission Combined Graduate Level (JSSC-CGL) examination and ordered wider scrutiny of recruitment examinations conducted through TSR Data Processing Pvt. Ltd. (TDPL).

The decision was taken at a Cabinet meeting chaired by Chief Minister Hemant Soren. Later, addressing reporters, Soren said the government had accepted the demand for cancellation of the JSSC-CGL examination and would scrap examinations and recruitment-related processes conducted through TDPL that fall under the government’s action. The move follows sustained protests over alleged irregularities and questions surrounding the credibility of competitive examinations conducted in the state.

CID probe into examinations since 2014

The government has also ordered a broader investigation into recruitment examinations conducted in Jharkhand. According to reports, the CID will examine examinations conducted since 2014, while a separate inquiry headed by a retired judge is also being planned to look into alleged irregularities. Soren said investigations by the CID and SIT had already brought out several incriminating facts in cases related to examination fraud and recruitment.

The TDPL issue has become a major focus of the controversy because the private agency was involved in conducting several recruitment examinations. The latest decision means the government’s scrutiny will extend beyond the JSSC-CGL examination to other recruitment processes linked to the agency, including their results and selections where applicable.

Decision follows prolonged student agitation

The Cabinet decision came after weeks of demonstrations by job aspirants in Ranchi. Protesters had demanded cancellation of the JSSC-CGL examination, investigation into alleged examination irregularities and a more transparent recruitment system. The agitation had intensified in recent days, including hunger strikes and attempts to march towards the Jharkhand Assembly.

Student leader Devendra Nath Mahato, who had been on an indefinite hunger strike, ended his fast following the government’s announcement. However, reports said he and other protesters indicated that some demands, particularly concerning the nature and scope of the investigation, remained unresolved.

Recruitment system under scrutiny

The controversy comes against the backdrop of several ongoing investigations into recruitment examinations in Jharkhand. The CID has separately been probing alleged irregularities surrounding the 14th JPSC Civil Services Examination, including questions related to the selection of TDPL and alleged financial and procedural irregularities. Former JPSC chairman L. Khiangte was arrested earlier this month in connection with that investigation.

The government has now indicated that the examination system itself will be reviewed, with reforms aimed at making future recruitment examinations more secure and transparent. The move is significant because cancellation of an examination can affect not only candidates accused of wrongdoing but also those who may have cleared the process without any involvement in alleged irregularities.

For thousands of aspirants, Monday’s decision therefore marks a major development in the prolonged recruitment-exam controversy. While the cancellation addresses one of the protesters’ central demands, the credibility of the government’s next steps will depend on how independently and comprehensively the promised investigations are conducted and how quickly a reliable system for fresh examinations is put in place.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *